We are offering a $2,500 cash prize to the developer who can install the Socialize SDK in an iOS or Android app the fastest. If you win and your app is live in an app store by the end of the contest period, we’ll throw in an extra $500. That’s a total of $3,000. You could buy a pony with that kind of money.
Here are the ground rules:
Contest runs 8/1/11 until 11:59 p.m. PDT on 8/31/11
- You must screencast your desktop as you implement the Socialize SDK (we recommend iShowU or similar) and share the video link in the form below.
- The video must start with the already-downloaded Socialize SDK (from Github) and end with you successfully authenticating to the Socialize servers through the app (via log or extra method alert). Your total time is counted as the video length.
- Protip: Register at www.GetSocialize.com and get your auth tokens before you start the video to save some time!
- We will post the submissions on this page as they are received so you can see what the current fastest time is.
For specific guidelines, jump to our update.
Post any questions about the rules in the comments below. If you’re having a problem with the SDK implementation, please post it in our support area.
9/1: Connor wins!
8/31: Here are more specific guidelines:
We’re looking for videos that show nothing in between what we provide and your code. We want to see how quickly people can implement Socialize straight from our website and zip file—no text app in between to hold all the code you’ll copy and paste.
To produce a valid entry, your video must include:
- the SDK already downloaded (zip file can be extracted)
- grabbing the appropriate code from the documentation provided
- grabbing the consumer key and secret from the getsocialize.com website
- successful authentication
- 0:23 – Connor Duggan
- 0:28 – David Goemans
- 0:30 – Connor Duggan
- 0:40 – Sam Stewart
- 0:41 – David Goemans
- 0:43 – Peter Kazazes
- 0:48 – Nuri Hodges
- 0:53 – Nuri Hodges
- 1:00 – Bryan Gutierrez: “For good measure,” he says.
- 1:09 – Peter Kazazes
- 1:15 – Bryan Gutierrez
- 1:24 – Jamie: This was her FIRST time coding! Her husband Brant said, “A funny video of the night I taught my wife Jamie how to code. She got really excited at the end. One o seven!!! The Socialize SDK is so easy to build in an app, Jamie learned in one night. Her first line of Java code ever and even beat all the boys in the SDK Speed Challenge!”)
- 3:25 – Paul Murphy
Other entries: These don’t qualify towards the leaderboard, but see if you can beat them!